Our History


The Talisman Hotel originally called the Uretara Hotel then named the Katikati Hotel and some years later down the track the Talisman. The Talisman has had many owners and licensee’s since it was established in 1878. The most respected and esteemed proprietor of all those years was an Irish man named Barney MacDonnell. Barney owned the hotel from 1878 until 1896 and in a very short time he became something of a legend in the area. Barney was well known and respected for his fairness, and his advice was sought by many locals. 
We are now proud to say we are local, family owned and operated business with a true passion for hospitality. Our close-knit team strives to consistently provide great service and food. Here at the Talisman, we want our locals to feel like it’s their second home and for those passing through to arrive as guests but to leave as friends. We also pride ourselves on locally sourcing as many products as we can. This ranges from our meats through to lettuces and garnishes. We believe that in a community we need to look after each other.

We hope to see you soon,

Michele and Danielle Reichmuth

7/9 Main Rd, Katikati 3129